Hover Box Element
Ira Hinckley constructed Cove Fort in 1867 at the request of Brigham Young. One of its distinctive features is the use of volcanic rock in the construction of the walls. This defensive structure was built during the Black Hawk War and was designed to protect against attack. Cove Fort served as an important way stop along the Mormon Road. Because it’s halfway between Fillmore to the north and Beaver to the south, it was an important overnight weigh station for food, rest, and repairs. With 12 rooms for traveling guests, Cove Fort could serve up to 75 people per night.
Today, Cove Fort has been reconstructed by the Hinckley family and is operated by the LDS Church. They offer free tours that cover the complete history of the site. This is a must visit for anyone who wants a taste of the area’s history.